Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Happy Hump Day

Happy Hump Day! This week has flown by, in fact it doesn't feel like we had a weekend because we worked on home projects all weekend. We spent almost three hours at Lowe's on Saturday - yeah, we should have a cart named after us or something - buying blinds, shelves, and other odds and ends. And I made a second trip on Sunday to exchange blinds and spend a small fortune in flowers. All in all, we made great improvements. It was worth every penny.

Jason installed blinds in the living room and both kids' rooms and they look great. We got wooden (what type of wood I'm not sure) blinds and bamboo blinds. And he put up a new, large ceiling fan in the living room. The combination really gave a whole new look to the rooms. He worked his hardest though, at installing lighting outside by the driveway and up the front walk. This required digging a ditch through gravel - no easy task. It looks great! They automatically come on at dusk and turn off at dawn. No wiring involved - thank goodness.

I took on the bathroom projects. The first was to replace the broken toilet seat. Sounds like fun, I know. I was surprised how much nastiness was gunked up under and around those two little knobs that hold the toilet seat down. I will have to speak to someone about their aim. He knows who he is. Have you looked at what is holding down your toilet seat lately?? How does that gunk get there?

The second project was to dismantle, remove, and clean the single stall shower door. This was a whole new level of gross. First I removed the door, held by four small screws. Then I dismantled the frame - three pieces, each held by a few screws. In doing so, I cut what was left of the caulk around each piece first. I discovered why so much water gets on the floor outside of the shower - lack of caulk! I took all of the pieces outside for a good scrub down. The worst piece was the one at the base of the shower (what you would step over to get out). I'm not sure how, but it had the most crud gunked up inside of it....G-R-O-S-S! Once cleaned, Brittany helped me put it back into place. I stood on the outside of the shower, holding pieces in place, while she screwed everything back in on the inside. Well, we didn't get it quite right the first time and couldn't get the door open, so she had to un-do everything and we started again. Jason came to the rescue and added a new screw so everything was snug and then caulked the heck out of it. It's sealed tight now and looks 100% better.

Just so you know, I used a cleaner I got at Lowe's to clean the shower pieces. I'm convinced this stuff can clean dern near anything. It's in a yellow spray bottle and I think it's called CLR or something like that. Great stuff.

Everything looks great and everyone pitched in. We made a small dent in our long list of home improvments!

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Wow, you guys were busy! I love it when things have been thoroughly scrubbed.

Avery & Hailey said...

There are some things I don't want to know...like what may be growing in the two knobs of my toilet seats....yuck!!!

Wow! You are Ms Fixit! I'm impressed!

Maridith said...

You have been a busy lady! When you are done please feel free to make your way to Raleigh and help me!! I know it feels good to get things really really clean! Hope you are having a good week! M